martes, 30 de junio de 2009

campfire-pattern-alert

People,

I wanted to share with you a simple script published as open source: (git://github.com/mgiorgi/campfire-pattern-alert.git)

I developed this software because I wanted some kind of alerts, when people mentioned my name in a Campfire's room. In fact, our team used to work that way, when someone wanted to talk to me, they just typed: 'Marcelo'. And I supposed to check that messages below that.

For that, I though, it would be great if there were a Desktop tool that can connect to campfire and just alert me when that happened. But, unfortunately, for Linux users(*), like me, there is no good solution to filter the irrelevant messages and alert me with the ones I want.

So, I decided to came up with this tiny tool that does exactly that job!

An example of the usage of it (after configuring the proper jabber/campfire connection information in jabber-configuration.rb and campfire-confirguration.rb respectivly):

$ ./campfire-listener.sh Marcelo JABBER

Then after a couple of logged messages, every message that contained 'Marcelo' would be sent to the jabber account that I want. In fact, I decided to forward the following 5 messages (this amount can be changed within a constant in campfire-listener.sh) after an occurrence of 'Marcelo' (in this case).

General usage would look like: ./campfire-listener.sh pattern output.

Where 'pattern' could be a regular expression and 'output' stands for STDOUT (if output parameter is not set, this is considered the default value) or JABBER.

Well, hope it helps you, as well it helped me! Let me know what you think ;)

(*): I knew that such a solution exists for Mac OS, for instance.

No hay comentarios: